Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Just under the wire FO

Ages ago I joined Kat's UFO Challenge, and though I have been finishing quite a few things, I've been one sorry lame ass about posting them. But this one is for July...



A Kiri Shawl made of 900 yards of raw silk, fingering weight. It is beautiful, no? I'm completely in love with it. The pattern was easy and very clear and I would recommend it to anyone.



This shawl should've been finished ages ago, as I was moving along on it at quite a clip, but then I got to the edging. I have a secret suspicion that I have an edging curse. Everything was perfect. As I said, the pattern is very clear, and I had no doubts in knitting right along...when I got to the center stitch of the first row of edging, I was off. I tinked it back, thinking that I had some brain malfunction along the way, and did it again. No dice. Off again. This went on for a loooong time, alternating with bouts of shawl neglect, during which I convinced myself that when I picked it back up it would be fine, everything would work.



A few weeks ago, I was determined to finish the thing. I loved it and I wanted it. I went back to the pdf file, counted stitches here there and everywhere. Finally, I checked my chart against the written instructions, not really believing that the chart could be wrong, but I couldn't think of anything else. Confusion set in on the first 5 stitches. I went back to look at the pdf chart again and realized that the day I printed it, my printer must've been on red strike. It hadn't printed those little red YO's that frame the edging pattern. It didn't print ANYTHING in those spots, so I was knitting them. Once I added them in, everything went quickly and swimmingly again. And now I can honestly say that my printer has something against my knitting. Terd.



So, my weird word of advice about this lovely shawl? Make one, and make sure you have red ink in your printer.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

The shawl is beautiful! I love how the colors came together!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad you figured out the weirdness about the edging/red ink, because WOW. That's absolutely stunning. I would SO mug you for it. ;)

3:18 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

Clearly there are good reasons you are in love with it!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Your Kiri is positively beautiful and I'm glad that you finished it and shared the pictures with us.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo pretty!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That is so beautiful. Makes me want to knit another shawl :)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home