Friday, July 13, 2007

The tragic Koigu and Clue #2

Look, I rhymed! I'll try to stop that, I promise.


A while ago, my excellent pal from SP9 (It was 9, right?) asked if I had gotten to play with the long-coveted Koigu that she so generously sent me. Indeed, I had! I cast on some socks, toe-up because I wasn't sure exactly how far Koigu goes, on size ONE needles. A little insane, I should say, but...I wanted them to last forever once they were made, so I figured I would suffer through a little tight knitting for such a goal. I got just about an inch away from the top of the first...

That's a split rib, or something...it's a stitch pattern from Sensation Knitted Socks, and though the picture may not show it, these socks were quickly (HA! Quickly...on size ONE needles...as if...) turning into a thing of beauty.

As I was admiring them one day, I turned the sock around and found this:


Can you see it? IT'S a HOLE!!!! A hole?!?! I have no idea how it came to be, but it is almost halfway down the foot. I don't know how to darn, and though I'm sure I could learn how, I don't want my beautiful new Koigu socks to be darned even before I wear them....like some old stinky socks. I'm pretty sure I just have to rip them back and start over. Its truly tragic. I'll probably move up to size 2's this time though because the 1's were really driving me out of my damn mind. And I need no help with craziness these days.
Clue #3 for the Mystery Stole is due today...here's what I have, up to Clue #2 in the recycled cashmere. Using this yarn makes me realize I really have to get out to some yard sales and find myself some more cashmere sweaters to rip apart! It's really lovely to hold.

Oh...and I'll write a little about this more, but I seem to be lacking good books lately. Having been on a reading ban for a while because of that damn thesis, I'm a little out of the loop. I need some help...what's the best book you've read this year? Or last year? I'm going to the library tomorrow and I need a list. I've been disappointed twice in the last two days by two totally different books. I need no more dissappointment in my life these days. Blah!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

You could always read one of my screenplays! :)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - I knit 99% of my socks on 0s. :)

One of my very favorite books is "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis. Her book "Bellwether" might be a good one to start with - it's a quick and very enjoyable read.

10:31 AM  
Blogger teh j00 said...

Oh MAN that colorway is gorgeous! Huge huge bummer about the hole...

My two all-time favorite books are The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton, and American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If you've read either or both of those, lemme know and I'll suggest more. (This is what happens when a writer is asked to recommend good books. Mua ha ha ha ha!)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

If you are looking for a book to purely enjoy without having to think too hard, try Lorna Landvik's Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. Also good is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks about the hole! How frustrating.

The shawl is lovely; I think I need to get to some yard sales myself.

3:27 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

ACK ack ack (think Mars Attacks acking here!-holes in new socks!). Yeah, I wouldn't take a kid A's age to HP5, or HP4. Especially if HP3 was scary. So aside from HP 5&6 (which I'm thoroughly enjoying re-reading!), I've over the past year or so totally enjoyed Phillip Pulman's 'Golden Compass' trilogy (a 'kid's' book, but so well done you don't notice), 'A Northern Light' by Jennifer Donnolly (another young adult book, I keep getting it for all my niece birthdays), and on the adult level, I enjoyed 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter', I forget who wrote it. Mom gave me 'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan', maybe by Lisa See, it was good too, a quickie read. Oh, and if you like fantasy, we really enjoyed listening to Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy (another young adult story, but very good, and read by Tim Curry...great!).

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books ever is "The Liar's Club" by Mary Karr. Her bio. LOVED it, although it's got its sad moments (she had a rough childhood).

I also recently read and enjoyed "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy and "Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield. Both good, both very different. (Check out the descriptions/reviews on Amazon to see if one or the other is up your alley.)

If you're interested in more, send me an e-mail. (mommaamme at gmail dot com)

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home