Wednesday, January 10, 2007

You silly omnivores...

I've noticed this strange, but consistent occurrence lately. When I tell people that I'm a vegetarian, they almost always then regale me of their favorite meaty recipe (think sirloin here) or the six different kinds of meat they had last night. Why? It doesn't bother me, but in all honesty, I've got nothing to add. So, I just sort of look at them with the only thought in my mind, "Really, is THIS what you need to tell a vegetarian? Do you realize I'm not going to have the same appreciation for your description of bloody rare steak as others might have?"

What is it? Defense? Meaty-confessional? Knee-jerk contrary conversation? Trying to out my hidden lust for meat?


**Mr. Eyes schwooped in to try to kiss me last night. It was unexpected movement so he made VERY brief contact before I flinched away. Eeck. Erck. Oye. So, I said to him, "Seriously, what would you do if you were me??" At which point he came toward me like a vulture. "No, no, no, not if you were me pretending to be YOU. No, if you were really ME." At which point he backed off.

I'm annoyed that he's making it so difficult to keep him in the benign friendly category.

**This part of the post is completely UNRELATED to meat, just in case you were wondering. REALLY, there was NO MEAT INVOLVED, thank you.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the clarification there!

Maybe people feel the need to tell you what wonderful things you're missing by being vegetarian? I was vegetarian for years, but after having to go gluten free, I went back to omnivory.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband doesn't eat red meat or very much of any other meat. People are always acting defensive around us when they find out... like his/my dietary habits are somehow a condemnation on their meat eating. I could care less what they devour, we just choose not to for own health reasons.

MR EYES NEEDS TO BE GONE! Consider this a reason to eat chocolate instead of stepping out for a cigarette. You already know that he's willing to sneak around on his girlfriend. No amount of shirtless cuteness, etc. is worth living in a building with someone who may be the wronged woman. Especially if she goes psycho. Besides, he'd be nothing more than short-term amusement. I say bring out the chocolates!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, after I wrote that I realized that I sound preachy. That was NOT my intention, really. If I overstepped by blog friend boundries then I apologize.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

Uh, YOU ARE SMOKING!!!!! V!!!!

Geez, too bad this guy has a girlfriend-wife type person. He could be the rebound guy you need right now. And I can't believe he pulls this crap when he lives right upstairs!!! Geez!!

Do you have a picture phone? I want to see what this guy looks like, shirtless of course! lmao!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I often get the "But what do you eat?" response. That or they start apologizing for their meat eating. ;)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Mitzi Green said...

i would have punched him in the balls. for real.

my husband has some hippie friends who are vegan (and their favorite salad involves hippie lettuce, but that's another story). i don't regale them with tales of meat, and i LOVE me some meat, but EVERY time we see them they have to go on and on and on about this or that great vegan dish they discovered and how we just HAVE TO try it. like hell i will. so i've decided the next time we eat indian food with them, i'm ordering the "meat platter," which is exactly what it sounds like--a platter full of meat--and i'm going to eat it with my hands. while they watch.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated to meat!?!?!?!? Who would have gone there if you didn't say anything!!! Your mind must be in the gutter! Or the bed! Or in Mr. Eyes's pants! Hmmmmmmmmm. You do need to use your camera phone (or borrow one to do this) to get a sly pic of this guy! I was a vegetarian for quite a while (mostly...) but no longer...but I don't talk to you about meat...I try to find you my best veg recipes!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

OMG I love Mr. Eyes, he cracks me up. I've got one of those and why he's still around I don't know. Yes I do. And yeah, I hate the meat-talk, too.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering how Mr. Eyes fit in with meat. :) I don't think it's just vegetarians. I get similar comments if I mention how I hate mayonnaise. I think people feel they have to justify their own dietary choices.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't he even worry that his girlfriend might see him flirting with you/trying to kiss you? It sounds like such a bizarre situation!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home