Monday, November 27, 2006

And now what?

Ok, ok, I know I'm not usually a two-a-day poster, but I have something to ask you all.

I found out this weekend that my brother has a blog. He told my mom, probably knowing full well that she would never be able to find it even if he sent her a direct link. The news then passed through my sister to me, who knows I read blogs, but doesn't know I have one. I thought she might suspect until she had her "Why would anyone blog? It's the stupidest thing ever" rant this weekend.

So, of course, I decided to seek out my brother's blog, curious about what it might say as my brother's life is generally a mystery to me since we only talk a handful of times throughout any given year.

So, what do I do with it now? He's a month old blogger which is basically my code for telling you that his blog didn't thrill me, but then my expectations of him tend to be REALLY high. He's good at everything. (I know, like I should really talk....if he traced me here, he'd probably send me a stream of emails saying "Enough with the fucking knitting pictures already!) And it was just weird. It was like finding his really boring diary. Which is odd because I thought he'd have sort of a scathing political blog and I could get behind that. But, well....

So, do I tell him I "found" his blog? Possibly opening to him knowing that I have a blog? Or do I just pretend like I don't know and risk knowing far more than he's told me the next time we talk? How do you guys deal with the family and blogging? Thus far, I have not told anyone in the family because, well, sometimes I want to rant about them. Usually I don't, but I like to leave myself the opportunity. And there are details here about certain things that I don't necessarily want to share with them. It was definitely one of those stupid things....you know you'll do it, but when you do, then what? Like checking a boyfriend's outgoing calls or something. (Not that I've ever done that....hahahahaha!) Yuh know?

(And yes, I do know that I'm having a good day when this is the biggest drama I've got going on.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so first of all - you have me curious about your brother's blog. I want to check it out :)

I didn't plan on telling anyone in my family, but I did. Not that any of them read it except maybe my mother (who is the one I'd be most likely to rant about!). So, now I'm finding myself wishing I'd never told any of them - like you said, I'd like to be able to rant if I want to. My advice is don't ask, don't tell. That's for your blog. As for your brother's blog - me being the nosey sort, I wouldn't tell him I found it. I'd keep checking it to look for something juicy ;-)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

A conundrum! Um... Well, my family knows about my blog, but I think they mostly look at the pictures. :) Not that I ever get really personal anyway. Seems like you should probably 'fess up that you've read it, but maybe not mention you have one?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jerri Ann said...

I can't keep a secret so I would have to mention it to him...but I'm an only child so what do I know?

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't think you're going to keep reading and really think you will be able to stay away, I say no harm, no foul and you just keep it to yourself.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo TB.

Of course, you could just tell him your sister told you about his blog, and ask him if he minds your reading it. But it doesn't sound like it's worth the bother.

8:31 PM  
Blogger meno said...

Here's what i think you should do: Tell him or not read it.
Here's what i would do: Not tell him and read it.
I am sneaky.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

I always blog under the assumption that anyone and everyone can and will read it. Once I totally went off trashing an ugly mohair full-body jumpsuit that somebody was selling on ebay. I found her listing via a comment somebody else had posted on the now defunct site, "You knit what?". Anyway, the mohair lady saw YKW? and traced back all commentors, myself included to see what was on their blogs, etc. Never in a million years did I think that a total stranger from England would find my little old blog where I was mocking her knitting. It hurt her feelings and I felt (and still feel) horrible about the entire episode. Then again, if you have anything really bad to say then you can come on over to my blog and just leave a comment, I doubt any of your family members will find a comment on my blog...
As far as reading your brother's blog goes, I say read it anonymously. It's posted out there for the world to see. BUT, if he ever mentions that he has it to you, etc. then I'd tell him something like, "Yeah, I've seen that." Or you could always leave strange anonymous comments. BTW, the mohair suit was really ugly.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Shel said...

If you tell him he'll never write anything juicy!!!

I totally quit my blog because I knew that my husband was reading it and I didn't feel like I could write whatever I wanted.

When your brother starts writing juicy stuff send me the link. I need some juicy stuff in my life! lol.

Hope you had a great Turkey Day with J and the gang.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

I REALLY wish I hadn't told anyone in my family I have a blog. They read sometimes and I sort of hate it. And I bet your brother will wish the same thing a couple months down the line. But seriously, now that you know, you can't NOT read his blog, right? ; )

I like the idea of bringing it up, next time you talk,' mom says you have a blog, can I read it? I read blogs sometimes.' If he's cool with it and gives you his URL, then everything's out in the open and you won't feel like a dirty little spy . . . but that doesn't mean you have to share your blog with him, unless you're totally comfortable with it. Good luck!

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home