Friday, November 10, 2006

Finished Object Friday: Tada!


I almost don't want to say anything. Just stare into the log-cabiny goodness! (Please ignore the mess on the right! That's where I knit, so there's never any order in that area.)

This is for me my brother and his family (That means that I knocked THREE people off my Christmas knitting list in one finished object friday. Told you...kicking Christmas ASS!)

I love it. It's going to take everything that I've got to send it away to Indiana where he lives. I told Little A that we might go visit him this summer, so that we could visit the blanket, when she seemed more than a little disturbed that this blanket is not staying home with us.

The pattern is basically the log cabin pattern from MDK, but I didn't bind off or pick-up the stitches. I'd just string them onto yarn to wait until their turn came around again. The border is a crochet border that I had been thinking of throughout the entire blanket. I was worried that it wouldn't work out the way I wanted, but I love it! It's exactly what I was picturing and THAT rarely happens to me! I didn't measure it, but it is completely covering a queen size pull-out, though not draping. It's meant to be a throw, so I was glad it didn't hang over the edges. It's so big! The biggest thing I have ever knitted.

And what did I do when I finished with my let-it-go weeping? I cast on a blanket for Little A. She's been promised for a long time. So, it's her turn, though I don't think it will be QUITE this big. She lugs her blankets around, and this sucker is a little big for that!


P.S. To all you NaBloMoFo's - I'm finding it very hard to keep up with all the posting for this thing and so hence forth, you shall all be known as NaBloMoFo's because you're killing me. I love yuh, but please, you're killing me.

12 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

I saw your post about self-striping on Stumbling Over Chaos - I used the tutorial here. It's brilliant! I hope it helps.

8:56 AM  
Blogger AngelHawk said...

OH MY- how can you part with it? its soo beautiful! I do not knoit but I do crochet and I have decided- that I will try and make a log cabin afagan- I dunno what will happen I have alot of trouble following hte written directions that I have found online- but I just learned to crachet about a yr ago and I make afagans for anyone and everyone- but I am soo tired of the single crochet(altho its easy and differnt hooks can make really awesome/different looks)- but I am SICK- SICK -SICK- of stripes- gack! I want to do SQUARES- pretty quilted looking squares- any ideas? all help would be greatly appreciated and how do you pick such gorgeous colors- really I am in looove with the log cabin thing and the edging- AWESOME!!! its a work of art!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow. I bow to your knitting (and crocheting) prowess. It's lovely! Maybe you can give it and then steal it back when you visit. ;)

I feel the same way about NaBloMo whatever - eeeeeeeeek!

10:58 AM  
Blogger V said...

M - Thanks! I checked it out...it is awesome!

Reddragonsangel - I can really talk about parting with it....it is in my house until I find an appropriate box. And that may be a LONG time. The log cabin thing would work fabulously well with crochet. Oh...I just printed a pattern for my mom the other day too that you might like if you want some quilted looking squares. I wasn't crazy about the yarn/colors, but the pattern is great: http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/Prairie-Star-LW1295.pdf

Chris - Excellent plan. Aja and I will start planning our robbery tonight! Yeah, I bet YOU especially feel that way...I've seen your blog roll!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is Fan-f'n-tastic! Really! I love the crochet edging. The colors. The way staring at it kind of lures you down down down into its center. OK, and now for a show of ignorance...what is nablomofo? And, the kiddo's back hair fell off...he even had some over his ears, I'd considered naming him Magilla.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

The log cabin blanket is gorgeous. Looks as though you will have to knit another one for your family now. I have entered your name into my contest too, good luck.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blanket is sooo pretty! Your brother is a lucky guy.

I miss you, V.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Shel said...

LOVE IT!!!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

That throw is BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

The NaBloMoFo's are killing me too.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Your log cabin afghan is beautiful! I hope it will be treasured by them and treated with the utmost respect... if it isn't then sneak over there and take it back while nobody's looking!

Your Bento lunches have inspired me to start packing better tasting and healthier lunches for all of us here. We used to be extremely health conscious, but during our recent home sale, move, etc. we fell off the "good food" wagon. Boy, is there a noticable difference in the way we feel too! Anywhoo, I'm looking for lunch carriers tomorrow similar to those you have. Hopefully my daughters will be motivated by packaging and presentation to eat! Cheers.

11:46 PM  
Blogger V said...

Thanks everyone! :) Its really tempting to keep it!

Lisa...the NaBloMoFo's are those bloggers who are taking part in this NaBloSomething Something...posting every single day for this month. It's WAY too much to keep up with! Man, I don't read over the weekend, and Monday? Insane.

I miss you too Roo. :( Come visit soon!!

Haha Heide! He'll love it. I made him socks, his daughter a knitted puppy, and his son a knitted chess board last year and they loved them, so I'm hoping that with that evidence, it will be safe! BTW, there are many sellers on Ebay for the Bento Boxes. I haven't ordered any from there YET, but I look at them all the time. I'm trying to have some control instead of filling my kitchen with a million little lunch boxes! :)

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Smart thinking putting the stitches on hold instead of binding off and picking up. I'll bet it made for a much neater join. And I absolutely love the crocheted border. The whole think kind of reminds me of a beautiful stained glass window.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home