Thursday, October 27, 2005

WRONG!

Welp, after about 8 months of watching me knit, M informed me last night that I knit WRONG! WRONG!!!! Can you believe it? Apparently I was putting my yarn over clockwise, when it really should be going counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise for all you crazy Aussies like M out there!). Who knew? I tell yuh! And so this was making my stitches politely cross their legs, when instead they should be wide open for all the world to see their yarny impropriety! I wonder if this will make me a sluttier knitter?
So, now, after many, many, many mis-knit stitches, I'm trying to re-train myself. It's like writing with your non-dominant hand! I mean....I actually have to concentrate now! Oye.
So, for all you "real" and "right" knitters out there, who have been cringing at pictures of crossed stitches, I do so apologize for having traumatized you. But DO ask, why didn't anyone tell me this before??? I can be taught (uh...sometimes!)! Spread 'em knitty......I got it now!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've admired knitting that crosses the legs, and I like the tightness and uniformity of that style of stitch. I couldn't figure out how to do that myself. I suppose it would be difficult to repair dropped stitches if each stitch would need a twist.

Now that you're a free wheeling, loose knitter, be open to mistakes!

12:09 PM  
Blogger V said...

Haha.....well now you know how to get them if you really want them! I really don't find anything offensive about them either, but can see the different now, if i do them side my side. And feel the difference. Beside being looser, the stitches have a lot more "give".
M thought i was knitting through the back of the stitch at first, so i guess that will give you the twist also. (If you ever want to throw it into a lace stitch or something! :)
Mistakes....lol...they LOVE to call my name! ;)

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hate having to retrain bad habits.

I used to draw really tight and drawn-in (ha!), and I tried to perfect one small corner of a picture before moving on to the next. Learning to always draw on the whole page was like that for me. It felt wrong, but I could see my results improve almost immediately.

And as soon as I get tired, I have to fight sliding into my old habits again...

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home