Friday, January 26, 2007

Freezing cold FOF and UFO

Holy mother is it cold out there today. If ONLY I could have stayed wrapped in my nice warm bed. Starbucks opened FORTY FIVE MINUTES late. This was NOT good news for the morning, especially since the first thing I thought when I woke up was "This is a venti-day."

I started a Microbiology class last night. The teacher was good, but intense. It's a little tough for me to be coherent past 8, so to still be trying to LEARN at 9:30? Eeeck! We'll see how that one goes.

I don't think I mentioned it yet, but due to the frightening and growing piles of unfinished objects in my apartment, I joined Kat's UFO Challenge!

This month, I went easy. Instead of finishing, I completely unfinished and returned the yarn to its state of "full of potential" instead of tied up in a nowhere project. A while ago, I made this bag for SP8.



I loved this bag A LOT and I didn't really want to send it away. But I did, convincing myself that I could dye some more recycled sweaters and make myself one. But the beginnings just weren't making me happy, so this:

Is now this:
Ready for a new adventure.

I also have the February recycled FO for today. (Early! Can you believe it? It will never, ever happen again. Knitting is definitely therapy.) And before you think "Wow, those are big calves, YES I have huge calves. Those nifty knee high boots rarely fit me. Boo-hoo.)

Can you believe I found that yarn sitting in a dumpy old thrift store sweater? It's beautiful and screamed knee socks to me. It's a little high on the acrylic (I think 70% Acrylic and 30% wool) so I'm guessing my feet now REEK! But they're too pretty for me to care. And on a day like today? They are doing excellent work at keeping the bottom parts of me warm.

The yarn was a bit thicker than sock weight, so I use size 4 needles and made up the pattern as I went. (The pattern is coming...I wanted to post it today, but I don't have my notes and I don't want to screw up the numbers!) In case you can't see, there's a cable running from the toe to the top. There is also another cable running from the heel to the top. I knit them toe-up because I wasn't really sure how much yarn I had. It was a women's sweater and I lost a bit to a cut v neck. Turns out, I had plenty. Maybe even enough for another pair of socks for my sister (who was quite jealous of this sweater find)! I'll try to get that pattern up on Monday. Have a lovely weekend! And stay warm!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks! I'm sure they really are coming in handy today!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love those socks!! Heh, I have muscular calves, too, and don't even bother trying on knee boots.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Those are great socks. Now you've got me thinking about knee socks again.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey those socks are GREAT! And yes, I did notice the cable, right after I started thinking "knee socks? she's making knee socks? I wanna make knee socks". I think I like that blue/green/yellow better as yarn... not sure why. Because I do like the finished knit bag. I call cold like this "booger freezin". You know, walk out the door (or just poke your head out) and instantly any bit of moisture in your nose is frozen. It was -2 at about 8 am here. And windy.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those socks. Your talent at making beautiful things amazes me.

It should be a crime for any coffeeshop to open late on a cold day!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are BOSS! So is the bag -- I wouldn't have wanted to part with it either. ;)

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I got your stashbusting contest numbers, and I must say, I really like how you arrived at them! hahahaha

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home