Friday, January 19, 2007

Finished Object Friday (Recycling!) AND KMKS!


This is a post in which my cat attempts to act like Chaos and Mayhem. I can only guess that he must be jealous of their bloggy notoriety because usually, he is completely disinterested in me and everything I do. But when I received my package from by KMKS pal, Jodie, he was all over it. Here are the contents as I pulled them out of the box:


Look at that great bag!! Me likey the greens! And pumpkin knows there is something interesting inside.

"This part of the package is definitely for the cat in the house."


Look at that! Beautiful wool, hand dyed by Jodie herself! It's absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to cast on the mittens. The pattern she sent are some great, long cabled fingerless mitts. I think the yarn is absolutely perfect for the pattern! (I'll post a link to the pattern...I left it at home in my early morning grog.)

Jodie also sent some lovely smelling goodies:


And:

Cool huh? This is really a great little extra and I swear, I PROMISE, that I will attempt to not kill this lovely lavender plant within 2 weeks of starting it. Because the thrill of having lavender scenting my kitchen....oh so good! (But I must be honest...though I have kept a child alive for 8 years but, plants? I even killed a Christmas cactus if you can believe it.)

Thank you so much Jodie for the beautiful package!! And thanks to Scout and

(Dude. Blogger ate the rest of my post...What else did I say? Oh yeah....FOF)

Bev for organizing this great swap.

Okey-dokie. Here's the FO for the day:


What are those pieces of crap you are asking? Dishclothes. Made from a sweater that I ripped apart over Christmas. They aren't AS ugly as they look in the picture, but they are haphazard. Total utility crocheting...nothing fancy. I made them from a striped sweater and didn't even bother to trim the ends where the company had tied together the stripes. I love them though. They are the perfect size and they don't get smelling like other dishclothes, for some weird reason.

I actually have a pretty big obsession with recycling old sweaters. I had to tone it down for a while because the ripped up sweaters were totally overtaking my stash. But over Christmas? I binged. I bought 10 sweaters for $2 each at my sister's thrift store. I mean, come ON? How could I not? We all know how much yarn is in a sweater, right?? Two were for felting purposes only and you shall soon see some of it when my KMKS buddy gets her package. The others....are now overtaking my stash again! So I made a half-assed resolution to knit SOMETHING from a recycled sweater each month. At least ONE per month. Those dishclothes were January. February is almost done and WAY more beautiful.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great package! The yarn is beautiful.

Thrift shop sweaters for yarn - hmmm, good idea.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

What a great box of goodies. Lucky you. My cats are usually uninterested in everything I do, too. I chase them with the camera and make them be interested.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, what fabulous stuff from your swap partner!!! Lucky you. :) I'm looking forward to seeing more things made from recycled sweaters, too.

Heh, I have NO IDEA why these cats are so fascinated with knitting and really any attractive nuisance I create.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does crocheting count for your resolution to knit things from recycled sweaters? I undid most of a mohair sweater once... probably won't do that again with mohair. I have a couple of wool sweaters that I want to make into felted bags (cut and sew first?), maybe even try some shibori felting, but there is just too much to do! What a great package you got!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked your package. Pumpking could probably smell Jasmine (my kitty) in the package. Don't worry about the lavender (I tend to kill plants too) it was so cute I could resist. Enjoy!

3:46 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Nice package! I have sent mine to my pal, and mine has been sent to me. Can't wait to see it!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your dishclothes1 What a wonderful way to recycle too. The package is fabulous and I love the help you had opening it.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's going on with your recycled sweaters? That lovely skein of new yarn? Are you busy constructing things? Or depressed over football? (hahaha) Did you get that lavender started?

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah,,,not YOU (rabid that is)...

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home