Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dreamy lunches

Yesterday, I had a conversation with my sister that made me very suspicious that my mom is trying to covertly plan on having all my brothers and sisters and I descend upon her house at Christmas. My mother is a lovely person. But about this issue, she is very nuts (or ignorant or something!) There are 5 of us, some with spouses or other appendages, some without. The group, as a whole, should have to enter through a metal detector because although we get along ok in little groups here or there, as a whole? The shit tends to hit the fan and we tend to become very, very, very angry. And I'm really not jazzed about the possibility of getting tricked into spending my Christmas this way.

Last night, I had a dream that there were enemies/terrorists of some sort in our house (actually in my grandma's house where this gathering of "all the kids" has happened most recently...like 15 years ago). At first my mom seemed to be in serious trouble or danger. Some shady character pulled up in front of the house and asked to speak to my mom. I told her and she went out willingly. I helped her down the creaky and treacherous front porch stairs where she went to whisper into the tinted windows. She came back into the house and revealed herself to be some kind of CIA official, in charge of everything and requested that the spies reveal themselves before she reveal them.

Nope, no issues here. Why do you ask?

Don't the holidays just make you all warm and fuzzy?

I made some super yummy dinner last night, featured as leftovers in today's lunches:


Mine is broccoli, cauliflower, carrot and veggie chicken tempura, clementine, onigiri star, roasted chick-Peas and a mint ghiradelli square. Little A wasn't down with the tempura, which completely shocked me. I could even imagine veggie hating kids eating it, so who knows! So her lunch looked like this:

2 onigiri stars, roasted chickpeas, a now'nlater, a clementine and raspberries. She saw it before hand and was highly approving of the combo.

Since the tempura batter was really yummy, I thought I'd post the recipe if you want to try it.

Peanut-y Tempura

2 eggs (separated)

1 tsp soy sauce

1 TBSP peanut butter

1/4 cup flour

1/4 milk

Mix the two egg yolks, peanut butter, soy sauce, milk, and flour. Set aside. Whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the other mixture. Ready for battering and frying.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You could start a lunchmaking business. Yum.

I would stay FAR AWAY from that Xmas gathering - yikes!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanna come to my house and help dilute Christmas?

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't families INTERESTING? But who wants to be in the midst of interesting? Me, I like mild mannered and easily entertained. You're welcome to come to my house and drink cuban egg nog! I strayed back into being a meat eater and will be roasting some pork (I think)... Actually, I'm not sure what's happening. But I AM making the egg nog. Chris is right, you surely could start a boxed lunch business! If whatever you're in school is like what I was in school for, it'd probably pay better!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

Do you use Quorn meat substitute or something else? It looks delicious. We've told my parents that because our girls want to be home to open Santa's presents on Christmas day that we will drive up to visit them several days before or in the dead week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. I don't know if this would work for you, but I'm counting on it to placate my parents and yet still allow me avoid certain family members. If you can't get out of a family gathering then I suggest alcohol... lots of alcohol.

10:31 PM  
Blogger meno said...

If you do go, be sure to take a camera so we can enjoy the fighting too.

Sounds like something my mom might do.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn baby, that lunch looks awesome. I'm starving now.

Good luck surviving the holiday gatherings. ;)

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home