Friday, October 27, 2006

Finished Object Friday, The Forced out of Bitchiness Edition

I haven't been in the best of moods this week. I don't know if its school stress, work blues, or a preview of SAD to come, but I've been a scowling, mopey bitch this week. It got to the point yesterday where I decided, in the course of about 15 minutes, to take Wellbutrin through the winter and to start reading Thich Naht Hahn again. If those things don't make me chipper, well, there will be no other recourse but to grab Little A and fly to Aruba to start our new life.

Luckily, before I had to put in any amount of effort (like opening a bottle or locating a book in the stacks), my secret pal came to the rescue! Let me tell you, I haven't had a lot of fabulous pal experiences (except for Fiberflix, Jen was a great one!). I often seem to attract the deadbeats. Once, on a non-blog related swap, the woman didn't send me anything. After MANY months of being harassed by the hostess she sent me a package of exactly the stuff I said I hated. A big damn box full of orange cotton yarn. Sweet.

But this time, I tell you. The pal gods have smiled on me and I can tell you with full confidence that I have landed the BEST SECRET PAL EVER. EVER! You ask for proof? You dare to ask for proof?

Well, fine. The proof:

You are viewing a totally hysterical kitty card, 2 skein of beautiful blue/indigo/purple sock yarn, the yummiest dark chocolate on this earth (or at least in my stomach on my couch) and beautiful, soft roving!! Do you understand what that roving means??? It means my pal has faith in my spinning wheel renovations skills! I really hope its not false faith, and I hope I can keep my paws and my spindle off of it until the spinning wheel's maiden (well...its a really old wheel, maybe that should be cronen) journey. Thank you SO much secret pal!!!

So, after I received that awesome gift, I got myself moving long enough to finish something for today:

Those are trekking socks (I know I REALLY should've remembered to write down the color number before I came to work, sorry!) for my friend L. Those are my feet in them. I would've shown you more, but I've already fallen into my winter shaving cycle (can "not at all" be considered a cycle?) and I didn't really think you all needed to see that! They are just the socks I "do" so up top is just a 3-1 rib. You're not missing much.

These socks took forever. I had the worst SSS of my life with them which is odd because I L.O.V.E. the yarn. Trekking rocks, but for some reason, does not motivate!

And to make you hungry, Little A's lunch:

That's a freshly picked apple with cinnamon and sugar, carrots, pistacios, cheddar cheese, tiny little breadsticks with a little container of tomato sauce for dipping. Another big hit with Little A. I made a batch of dough the other weekend and froze little tiny portions so that I can make stuff like this for her more often.

And I have an apple tip for mel (blogless at this time I believe). I found that my apples don't go brown (well, those above are covered in cinnamon, so not those) if I do this--Cut them how you like and put them into a little salad spinner with about 2 TBSP lemon juice and some water. Swish it around like crazy, then dump the water out and apple spin it until they are dry. It works really well!

And last, but not least, I leave you with this thought. As Little A was getting ready for bed the other night she was singing (she ALWAYS sings in the bathroom...loud...even in public places like the LIBRARY) Miss Mary Mack. You remember this one, right? Along with the hand clapping moves? Right, so after a couple repetitions she breaks in the P.Ditty version of Miss Mary Mack, complete with "Yo"'s (but happily, not ho's). Just imagine it if you're feeling pissy. It'll help. Yo.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just when i think i'm all creative and exciting with the lunches....BAM! i see little a's! :) great tip about the apples! thank you! i will definately try that! :)

and yes, im currently blogless. but i've been thinking about going back to it. i really enjoyed it.

i hope your winter plan helps and doesnt send you away to aruba!!!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your Pal perked you up. I need to get one of those.
Here's to a great weekend and better weeks to come.

Knit on!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Great pal, great socks, great lunch. I'm in that same winter shaving cycle, so I understand completely.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, Miss Mary Mack. Excellent apple tip, thank you, and the lunch is making me jealous. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. P.S. I have the same winter shaving "cycle"

12:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Isn't it cool how the timing of fun packages seems to work out like that?! Great Trekking socks - and I can so relate to the leg thing.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey V, glad you got a nice pkg! Here's something that has helped me w/ any kind of blues...smacking something. In a positive growing way, of course (yeah, right). Nearly 20 years of tae kwon do, good fun. But here I am ready to stop! Tired of teaching and paying dues to do so I guess. I have the dreaded SSS...some lace socks. One day the lace instep of the second sock fell off the needle...got that back on ok. Then a few days later I was zooming away (having drunk not one not two, but THREE glasses of wine)...and the next day saw there were a couple extra stitches. And since then, other things have kept me busy. I have a couple technical questions for you...I just started a blogger account, but there's nothing there yet. I wanted to move all that is on my livejournal account (about a month of blogging). Do you know how to do that? And how do you get involved with the secret pal thing? It's a crappy cold rainy dark here. I have in my mind that I'm buying fabric and making needle cases today to sell at LYS (or maybe also the one in Brunswick). We'll see.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

heart swelling! hurray for a good pal!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

I love those little lunches you make for A ~ save up these pictures for when she turns 14 so you can remind her what a great mom you were when she forgets for a couple years : )

St. John's Wort works pretty good for seasonal depression (I took Lexapro for a few months but my hair started falling out) and those lights you can get to simulate sunshine. And meditating, definitely! But chocolate, knitting and cute kids sounds pretty good, too : ) Hang in there, V! If we were joyful all the time, how could we learn patience and courage? (Or some such Hellen Keller quote.)

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are seriously giving me a mom inferiority complex and my baby isn't even born yet. Good lord woman, those lunches are truly amazing.

Also, your secret pal is a real gem. Whoever it is knows you so well and is very thoughtful in her choices. I bet I can guess who it might be.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home