Monday, October 10, 2005

Just a little harmless mind alteration...

Little A and I had a girls' night out on Friday night. We went to see Wallace and Gromit, Curse of the Were-Rabbit, had dinner at Chili's and found a couple of nice books to adopt and bring home from their cruel, hard life at Barnes and Nobles. I thought that I had a ton of energy, but passed out as soon as I lay in my bed, even though Little A was still in the middle of reading me a Barbie/Pegasus Pony book.

Curse of the Were-Rabbit was great and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves bulldogs who carry girlie change purses and the fact that cheese will always be able to save the day....if you just have a dog that knows how to use it! The level of detail in Wallace and Gromit movies is just astonishing and it makes me want to watch it over and over again to catch all the things that I know I must've missed. As we were waiting for the movie to start (I'll delete my tirade about the endless ads....previews are one thing....But ARGH!!!!), a teenage boy walked passed us exclaiming "Everyone, everyone should want to see this movie." It was one of the first times I've ever agreed with a teenage boy about anything.

We woke up to rain on Saturday morning and though cool, fall temperatures were promised by the weathermen, it was hot and muggy. I felt damp all day. M called me to report that she had a knitting victory when Ph finally, on Friday, admitted that he would like her to knit him a sweater. Muaa-ha-ha! And he thought that he could resist! Just a little harmless mind alteration was all it took!

After breakfast and a few Saturday cartoons (YAY! Peep and the Big Wide World!), I delivered Little A to her dad. Went home, took a shower and passed out again. I was deep in the depths of my PMS-exhaustion day, but right as I drifted off, N called and asked if he could pick me up for lunch. Mmmmm....PMR-Pre-Menstrual-Ravenous-ness. So I dressed and we went for an Indian Buffet. Tasty.

We were a lazy couple of mo-fo's all day. It was rainy and we were sleepy, so we lied around in bed, I knit a bit (working on some lace that is still killing me and about to have its wrath turned back on itself) because I don't have N's amazing ability to sleep for extended periods of time during daylight, and somehow we blew away the whole day. That night we attempted to go see Proof, but failed because the parking was just too annoying. So we went and played pool for a couple of hours. It was freezing when we came out of the pool hall. And I mean FREEZING! Luckily I had thrown some finds from the thrift store in my car on Friday, so I ran through the rain and was quickly warmed by my $1 leather jacket. I looked like a biker chic. A biker chic with knitting!

After that, we headed over to see some of N's friends. Not my favorite past-time, but it was a good night to go. Everyone was fairly mellow and the places weren't crowded to the eaves with leery-eyed guys and women giving me dirty looks for taking away one of their prospective husbands. We thought we were just driving across town, but instead, N and I somehow, unwittingly, drove right over the Mason-Dixon line to Alabama. It was scary. Certainly not something either of us would do on purpose. There we met a real-live down-home, toothless gal from Alabama. And not just from there, but maybe even inbred there. She was quite a shock to us. One of the luxuries of living in a metropolitan area in the Northeast is that you generally don't have to encounter southern accents, people who use the term "hot damn" seriously, or mouths that are lacking teeth, dentured or authentic. During our moments of averting our eyes and ears from the Alabamian, N admitted that he really liked one of the designs I just made up for some fingerless gloves and asked if I would make him a pair (in darker colors of course). I thought he was bullshitting me for a good 24-hours after that, but it seems that, indeed, after a little harmless mind-alteration, N's seen the knitting light as well! I'll be off to find him the perfect wool in the next couple of days. We only stayed for about an hour and then we rushed out to see another of N's friends.

This guy is usually host to too many of N's friends and we've had many arguments and horrible evenings in this specific location, but we decided we had to make an effort to make some good memories in previously jinxed places. Luckily, his friend J was the only one there. He is probably the least offensive of any of N's friends. And the event of the evening was staring at episodes of American Justice, which is most likely what N and I would have been doing if we were home. We stayed for an hour or two and I was able to get us out of there by 11:30 or so, which is very early for N on a Saturday, but late for me on any day. He was tired though, so it all worked out.

I made breakfast the next morning...omelets, potatoes, veggie-sausages, and fresh bread. Very tasty! I got my little A back around noon-time and we headed off to see the Wellesley Symphony Orchestra at 3:00. Little A wore her best flower girl dress and looked like a princess off to the royal box. And everyone noticed this which, along with the cookie-filled reception at the end, made Little A quite enjoy the Symphony. I brought along L's sock and nearly finished it. And in the meantime, concluded that there couldn't be many better plans for a rainy afternoon then listening to a symphony and knitting. Especially when followed with Brie and coffee!

I managed to finish L's first sock last night. And I have about 1/2 of the last sleeve from my pin-up queen to do. But this morning, I'm working on some bags. Trying to get them out of my head and into stitches before I loose them to a little harmless mind alteration.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome weekend!

We had some mind-alteration down my way this weekend too, which was wonderful but tiring.

Now that it's chilly I bet you want to knit even more! It's even making me want to (talk about mind-alteration...) :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger V said...

It was a nice weekend. I wonder if the mind-alteration has to do with the weather alteration???
You should knit something!!!! Want to have a knit-a-long with me?

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe something simple, like a scarf?

I love your fingerless gloves. You should post a picture!

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home