Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Sketches

I'm working on sketches. It's HARD. Thank goodness that when Roo came visiting on Sunday, she gave me some tips. She rocks, and in ten minutes, probably improved my sketching ability six fold! So now, at least I can tell what I meant to draw, even if it's still not the glorious piece of art that I would like it to be.
I'm trying to submit some designs to various knitting magazines, but some of them require sketches before you go through the whole pattern and picture sh'bang. Why, oh WHY must I be tortured so???? Almost everyone in my family is basically devoid of artistic ability. Crafty ability, we got an overdose of, but for some reason, it just doesn't tend to translate to things like drawing, painting or sculpting. So, I'm struggling.
And not just with the sketching. I was already rejected, quite swiftly, by one magazine. And I am not one to deal with rejection well. I can put on my face and pretend to be "fine and full steam ahead", but it really makes me falter, at least internally. While Roo was visiting, we were talking about how we are both far more competetive than we would generally let on. And being rejected by a knitting magazine that I love, but that I can't say I really thought was that selective (based on some of the past patterns) is quite a sting to the old competitive ego. Booo hisss.
On the bright side, N has been extremely supportive. He's not exactly what you'd call a lover of knitting (and certainly not a lover of my obsessive knitting) but it seems he's just figured out that its important to me and he's been so supportive and even went so far as to unbegrudgingly give me a tiny piece of input on something. It's been nice.
Ok well....full steam ahead. It's time to sketch.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those fools! They didn't deserve your knitting pattern. And even knitting books usually use photos, not drawings. Get with the 21st century, why don't they?

Anyway, if you can build your own loom, felt your own handbag, and make your own vegetarian jerky, drawing won't hold you back for long...

9:16 PM  
Blogger V said...

lol....so says the master!

but, really....it astonishing how much you helped me out in that quick little tutorial. i should show you a before and after picture when you come to pick apples!!!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home