Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I like how your cheese smells.

And other ramblings from the house of V.

This weekend, on Sunday, at approximately 4:33 and 12 seconds (approximately!) I finished my first fucking draft. It be, currently, 112 pages of pure bullshit insight. And though there are no possible words to express how relieved I am to have finished that part (I felt NO guilt for a whole 10 hours which is remarkable considering I've had thesis guilt, constantly, for like 3 years), it is now time to go a-revisioning. Fun.

Here's the thing about revisions. I don't do them. In undergrad, my professors where, honestly, lucky if they got a spell check before I passed things over their desks. I absolutely hate reading academic stuff I've written. H-A-T-E-I-T! I was talking to L about this little problem and she voiced my issues perfectly, as she has the same stupid neurosis: "It's because by the time you get to revising, everything seems so obvious...why would I have to say that." And the slash and burn begins. I'm fairly certain that once I really start reading through it, I will have the burning desire to slash it down to 8 pages because, in the end, that's all I'll really need. So, this should be fun. Revising....eh.

In other news, Little A and I are off to vacation next week! And that deserves a big, bad whoopity-doo! I scoped out a few yarn shops to hit while we are away, as well as, yuh know...stuff she'll actually like. Her only requirement was an indoor pool, so we aren't going far and intend to come home not just a little pruny. I'm looking for any suggestions for some good gratifying travel knitting...maybe a shawl? I've got several WIP that I'll throw in the bag, but I'm hoping to bring at least one little project that's just perfect for vacation knitting. Suggestions?

I bought plans to build a spinning wheel (though I don't love them, so they may be only the basis for my grand plan). It calls for all sorts of different saws and such. I'm still retarded enough to believe that I will accomplish all of that with my dremmel. I have faith in the dremmel. I'll keep you informed of the progress. Or lack thereof. I really need to take a spinning class so that I know what all the parts do. Much easier to build a functional something when you know what those functions are. Oh, and just so you know, if I completely fail at this, I've already given myself permission to buy an Ashford Joy, for an official graduation gift, if everything just goes to the crapper.

I joined the Knitflix swap! Woo-hoo! And everyday I check the Knit Sock Kit Swap blog everyday hoping that the hostesses will plan another one. Man, I hate that I missed that one. My Secret Pal (I'll add the link later! Ack...I forgot the card!) for SP8 sent me a super cool final package. It contained a Nicky Epstein book, a full kit for making one of the bags, and a cute little koosh ended tape measure. I may now have 17 tape measures in my house, and yet, somehow I can still NEVER find any of them. It was a GREAT gift! Thank you Tiffany!

And I really thought I had some more stuff to say, but I arrived at work without my coffee, and so my brain seems to still be smacking up against the snooze alarm. See you all after labor day!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This defintely calls for a vacation.

And now you've given me an idea for a job. Professional thesis proof/revisions. How much would you pay for someone else to do it for you? I would have laid out a pretty penny myself as I am much like you and hate to revise my own work.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats!! One hurdle past. I hear ya on the hating to revise, too. I don't miss that aspect of grad school at all.

Have a great vacation! I always take a pair of simple socks, along with a more ambitious project - I often find out I don't want to concentrate deeply on something fancy when I'm vacationing.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You are planning to build your own spinning wheel! Wow!

Revising is never fun. Grad school revising is especially heinous. Good luck!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Shel said...

WOW V, you really DO deserve a vacation!!

Our little group really misses you :-(

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed your blog, V!

Congrats on your first draft!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Congrats! And have a great vacation!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing that first draft. I am the SAME WAY about rereading my academic papers -- hate it. In fact, I try to write it so each paragraph is perfect as I first put it together. Which means I frequently spend hours and hours crafting the beginning of the thing and then finish up the end in a hurry, just before the deadline... ;-)

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home