Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Unnatural Attachments

Some of you know, some of you may have heard, that dear Little A tends to get very attached....to people...to things....you name it. If she's encountered it and it didn't bite her, the chances are that she now loves it.
Last night as Little A sat down to do her reading homework, she read 1 and 1/2 sentences, followed by an "Oh!" I looked over and saw that she had, in her hand, her FIRST lost tooth. (Yes, she's 7...and this is the first. She also got her first tooth when she was 14 months old. And I truly appreciated her waiting until we were done breastfeeding. I lost my last baby tooth when I was 17 years old. Needless to say....we are late tooth bloomers.) So there she was, holding her first little tooth.
(You're wondering what the connection between these two pieces of information is, are you? Well, its this.) As I jumped around the living room, hugging Little A, and exclaiming how wonderful it was, she stood frozen, staring down at the little tooth in her hand. I asked her if she was okay and the tears welled up in her eyes.
"What's wrong honey? Does it hurt?"
"No...sniff....sniff...sob....It's just that...sniff....I...SOB...LOVED THAT ONE....SOBSOBSOBSOB."
That's right, my kid is the only kid I've ever heard of who was traumatized, and not delighted, by the loss of her first tooth. She cried and cried...and then cried a little more.
"Well honey, we can leave it for the tooth fairy and I bet she'll leave something great for you!"
"Noooooooo.....sob.....I don't want to leave it for the tooth fairy. I don't want her to have my tooth....sobsob. I'll miss it if she takes it! SOBSOBSOB."
"OOOOOOKAAAAAAY. Do you want us to keep the tooth? Do you want us to keep it in a special place so that the tooth fairy won't come and get it?"
"YEEEEHEHEHEHEHHSSSS.....SNIFF"
"Okay, we'll put it in this special little box, and I'll give you a dollar because I bet that's what the tooth fairy would have given you."
So I bribed her with the dollar. She put the tooth in the box and the dollar in her piggy bank. Cried for a good 15 more minutes and finally settled down.
As different people came around...N...L...wifeJ...and exclaimed how great it was and how cute she looked, she gave them looks like they were somehow in on her great loss, the great conspiracy to rob her of her beloved teeth.
She's got 3 more loose teeth. It's gonna be a rough couple of weeks for tender Little A.

12 Comments:

Blogger Shel said...

Awe, poor little A!! I wish I could hug her!! What a great story to keep, to show her when she's older!!! She's such a sweet girl! You've done an awesome job raising her!! I can't wait to see a picture of her!!!

7:51 AM  
Blogger V said...

Oh...it's SO cute! I'll get a picture up soon!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that is so sweet. You're one of the few ppl. who can type the hiccupy/hyperventilating kid crying well...I can totally hear how that all went down. She's ....sentimental. Granted to a tooth but sentimental nonetheless.

My sister Kate who is 18 mos younger than I, brought my first lost tooth to her nursery school for Show & Tell. apparently she was quite the star that day (do I sound like I'm braggin about MY first lost tooth? heh.) When my mom when to pick her up, the teacher later told her that 4 year-old kate had explained to her wide-eyed classmates, "It was BLOODY! But my mother made me wash it!"
Apparently not only was I not sentimental, but didn't mind it being used as some sort of pimped out Show & Tell act. I'm worse than a reality show contestant!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sweet. She is a sensitive one. You were clever to offer you what the tooth fairy would have left -- I wouldn't have thought of that.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority that the Tooth Fairy is VERY understanding. Perhaps leaving a note with the tooth to leave it behind would suffice?

11:53 AM  
Blogger V said...

Haha Jen! Helping to spread tales of blood so early in life??

Luckily, Nancy and Dawn, I dont think I'll have to bother anymore with the tooth fairy....Though she's quite the fairy kid, she could not POSSIBLY care any less about the tooth fairy. I can't even count the number of times I, and many others, tried to invoke the tooth fairy to get her to wiggle her loose teeth. She'd just say she didn't care if the tooth fairy came. That was that. Weirdo!

1:21 PM  
Blogger V said...

Just a little tooth update. Little A went to her dad's last night. She proudly smiled and showed him the gap where the tooth had been.
So he said, "Wow! You lot a tooth! That's GREAT!"
And she burst into tears.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Men. They can never tell when the wrong thing is about to come out of their mouths.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, S. I can hear the strange beating of African drums in the distance. At least they're not pink.

Tell Little A that I'm proud of her. She's growing up too fast.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

That was such a sweet, endearing story, thanks for sharing!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other side of the story:

My darlin girl knocked out her front teeth in two separate incidents as a toddler so she had that gap-toothed smile going for years. Finally when she was six, she could feel her "big girl" teeth coming down in front. Excitement! Celebrations! Finally, front teeth! And then crying, sobbing, and all the rest. Why?
"I don't want to get my big girl teeth. I have always been extra cute without them!!!!"

10:58 AM  
Blogger V said...

Oh V-grrl! Poor little thing! I think Little A is always worried about losing her cuteness, too. I can see how traumatic that could be if everyone your life has been exclaiming how cute this or that is...and then poof! It's gone! Oye!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home