Friday, March 31, 2006

No New Is Good New?

(It's time for the April blog exchange! I'll be posting over at here today. Please welcome Mel from MamaMamaMaternity.....and we're clapping....clapping.....)

Sitting down to do this blog exchange topic was like being back in high school English all over again. The topic “new beginnings” just didn’t do it for me. I pondered and considered and deliberated. Nothing. Maybe it is because I am not a new beginnings kind of girl. New beginnings mean change, and change is not my thing.

Sure, new can be good. There are certain “news” that I like – new clothes, new shoes. There are certain “news” that I don’t - New Mexico, nougat (okay, so I’m reaching a bit with that one, but ...ick).

Nope, I am a status quo kind of girl. Change stresses me out. I don’t like that. Things that take me out of my comfort zone make me … well, uncomfortable.

I prefer to languish in the monotony of life, as I know it, rather than venture out into the vast uncertainty of change. Some may think I am missing out; shielding myself from getting the most life has to offer me. I disagree. My husband was my best new beginning ever.
But now the crazy, head over heels passion has evolved in something more comfortable. Like a soft, warm sweater. Call me boring, but if it comes to braving the elements or curling up in a comfy sweater, I’ll take the sweater in a heartbeat. Yes, there have been times in my life where I wanted nothing more than\n to start from scratch. To give the Etch A Sketch a good shake and move forward, but they are few and far between. I view starting over as a stepping-stone. It can be scary to step out. It may be slippery. But it is temporary, ultimately leading to the secure feeling of solid ground underfoot. So the winds of change may blow, but I can handle it - I’ll be wrapped in my sweater. Mel is a wife, mom, business owner, and mediocre blog writer, who enjoys long walks on the beach at sunset. You can read more at www.MamaMamaMaternity.blogspot.com - or at the very least, stop by to check out the only mom blog decorated with an Elvis impersonator.

But now the crazy, head over heels passion has evolved in something more comfortable. Like a soft, warm sweater. Call me boring, but if it comes to braving the elements or curling up in a comfy sweater, I’ll take the sweater in a heartbeat.

Yes, there have been times in my life where I wanted nothing more than to start from scratch. To give the Etch A Sketch a good shake and move forward, but they are few and far between.

I view starting over as a stepping-stone. It can be scary to step out. It may be slippery. But it is temporary, ultimately leading to the secure feeling of solid ground underfoot. So the winds of change may blow, but I can handle it - I’ll be wrapped in my sweater.

Mel is a wife, mom, business owner, and mediocre blog writer, who enjoys long walks on the beach at sunset. You can read more at http://www.mamamamamaternity.blogspot.com/ - or at the very least, stop by to check out the only mom blog decorated with an Elvis impersonator.


This post is part of a monthly blog exchange, held on the first of every month. We all write on a topic (this month is New Beginnings) and post on another person's blog as a way to gain new readers and find new blogging friends. This month's participants include: Christina, Kristen, TB, Chase, Mel, stacy, Julie, Laurie, Mabel, and Vicki. If you would like to participate, please email Kristen at kmei at yahoo dot com.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ~

Change is hard for a lot of people. Shaking the etchasketch is scary... But, for me, I always tried to find the good part of the new... and leave all the other crap behind...

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - love the title.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was a person that change was hard for. It's very easy for me and because of that I tend to give up on a situation long before I should. Thanks for sharing. (((hugs)))

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why long for change when you've got a good thing. There is something to be said for that worn, comfy sweater that you've owned for longer than you can remember.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Mel. I am a person that enjoys change, but too much of it at one time, and I'm craving that well-worn sweater, too.

1:53 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Sometimes change is good...sometimes it's not. But well-worn sweaters are forever.

(I sound like one of those "Priceless" MasterCard ads, don't I?)

6:52 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Dang, woman, you are SO not a mediocre blogger. I personally wish you would update more frequently but hey, when you do, it's like gold mama. :-)

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home