Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Awareness, I do foresake thee! (Alternate Title: Huh???)

Listen, I’m as big of a fan of denial as the next girl, but at some point, boys, don’t you think it might be a good idea to just realize something? ANYTHING? Whether it be a long awaited trip to the doctor to confirm that you’ve been treating your body like shit, or a long awaited trip to the shrink to find out that you’ve been treating your spouse like shit, you all just seem to be tripping through life with your eyes (not closed because how could you check out the chics? But) averted, we’ll say. Apparently so averted that your eyes are spinning to the back of your heads
I’m not trying to be some god damn Deepak here, but come on guys! Just a peek now and then might be useful!
N knows he has sky-rocketing blood pressure, a weight problem, drinks way too much, smokes way too much, eats mostly red meat or fried “x”, but it seems that the real detriment to his health would be a visit to the doctor. After all, he reasoned, the doctor would tell him to go to the gym, maybe put him on high blood pressure or high cholesterol meds that he may have to take for the rest of his life! My, my, now that would be scary. I’m not a big fan of the over-prescription that often goes on here, but I do find it immensely preferable to having a heart attack or stroke before the age of 30. But I guess that’s just me.
Now Ph…he’s another one! When M had to return to the doctor to find out if she was really miscarrying, he tried to opt out of going and also tried to convince her that she should not go. Instead, he wanted an outing to go buy a crib. Afterall, if he didn’t hear the doctor say it, it just isn’t true. But then Ph has so much denial, that one could spend volumes on him alone.
Then there’s the boss. Always a good story there. Who, one day, decides that it’s a brilliant idea to hire a retarded guy to hang from a tree with a running chainsaw. To enforce his denial, he claims that I’m being prejudiced when I question the decision. A day later later, the guy cuts himself with a chainsaw and my boss has to let him go. Shocking. But it’s a great example. Because it just goes to show that sometimes the denial is completely purposeless. He could’ve just as easily hired a guy who was able to handle a chainsaw without cutting himself on his first go, but for some reason, it was important to deny that maybe this guy was better suited to something a little less hazardous. You think I’m done, but there really is no end to stories of manly denial. I could go on forever. I mean, is denial the newest masculine trait? Is it better than being buff or being able to use power tools? I honestly can’t even be that contemptuous about it anymore, because it’s just so damn perplexing! I’d like to think that maybe it’s just the kind of men I happen to know, but these three are all so completely different from such completely different backgrounds, it only enforces in my mind that this is becoming a truly universal masculine trait. And I just don't know how to deal with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home